Sunday, March 16, 2014

Diary of an IAWP Conference Director

Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes in planning an IAWP Training Conference?  I think many of you are curious about the planning process and the decisions and work that leads up the big event.  Over the next few month,  I plan to "talk out loud" on my blog about all the details, debates and decisions that are going on for IAWP 2014.  

We are currently less than 200 days to the start of the conference.   The big part of our work at this time is the registration process which includes helping to facilitate visa applications for some of the delegates countries.  At least...this is the largest part of my work!  Many of the IAWP 2014 sub committees are busy with their own plans for events such as the Opening Ceremonies, Awards Luncheon, and Final Gala.  My role is to help coordinate their plans with the other committees and ensure that everything has its time and place during the conference week.

I have found myself sending more frequent email questions to Sue Bill, one of the Co-Conference Director for IAWP 2012.  It is a great help to check to our progress against the past committees and Sue is quick to respond to all our queries.   Other past conference planners, such as Mylan Masson, Robin Mathews, and Cindy Shain to get their perspective on conference planning.  I have come to realize that IAWP has an amazing cache of event planning expertise. 

Our next planning meeting in Tuesday. Then I will be off to the board meeting and conference in Las Vegas.  Can't wait to see all of my IAWP friends!

Be sure to continue checking in with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment