Saturday, March 8, 2014

Diary of an IAWP Conference Director - Day One

International Women's Day seems like a good time to launch my blog feature, Diary of an IAWP Conference Director, for several reasons.

My first reason stems from the theme of IAWP 2014, The Strength of Many - Embracing Human Rights.  It is a day like today, International Women's Day, that gives me pause to reflect that I am blessed to have the RIGHT to work as a police officer.  I have the RIGHT to all of the benefits and privileges of my male colleagues, including proper fitting equipment, training and to apply for promotion.  I have the RIGHT to speak my views and debate my opinions with my peers and my superiors.  And I have the RIGHT to take part in education. 

The RIGHT to be educated brings me to the second reason for choosing today to launch the "Diary".  Yesterday I was honored to attend a movie screening of the documentary film "Girl Rising".  It is powerful film that speaks to the challenges that many girls and women in developing countries face in trying to obtain even basic education.  It is also a film that speaks to the power of human resolve to face those challenges and make improvements for yourself and other girls.  As the film ended and discussion was opened up regarding the film messages and how we could help promote education for girls I was proud to stand and tell the audience that IAWP does it's small part in helping to advance training and educate women police in developing countries through our International Scholarship Award.  If you have not seen this film, I urge you to take the chance to view and judge its powerful message for yourself. 

My last reason has to do with IAWP as an organization and how we have achieved so much over the past 99 years to make improvements in the working conditions for women police around the world.   My desire to host an IAWP conference in Winnipeg, a dream shared by others on the Executive Committee of IAWP 2014, is deeply rooted in my pride in this organization and my role as a women police officer.

Please continue to check back here for weekly updates on IAWP 2014 plans and highlights.  And if you have not done so yet, please be sure to register and take advantage of the extended early bird rate. 

I wish you all a peaceful day on this 2014 International Women's Day.

1 comment: