Friday, June 25, 2010

This is definately not the Olympics...

I have been anxiously watching the news all day. (PS. Today is a regular day off for me so no worries that my boss may read this an wonder what I do all day long...LOL).

I have been watching the news because today marks the start of the G8 Summit in Huntsville just north of Toronto. I have been watching the news because I know that IAWP First Vice President Margaret Shorter is right in the thick of things in downtown Toronto and so far things are not off to the same jubilant start that she experienced back in February during the 2010 Olympics.

But you know our Margaret. She is always on top of her game, prepared for anything. She even had time to send me a quick update last night. She is one tough gal!

Marg on the Move...

Me again from Toronto. This was the longest day so far and the action really doesn't start until tomorrow. I will be up at 0400, on the bus at 0500, and back at 2000 (hopefully) and into an ice bath to reduce my core temperature and the swelling in my legs and feet. As a "west coaster" I am simply not used to the humidity!

I did have a few moments to reflect during my hectic day. There was just a hint of morning beginning to brighten the horizon as we boarded our chartered bus. It was raining but already + 20 degrees Celsius. I could see flashes of lighting over the skyline. I could hear pockets of quiet conversation as we hummed along the Gardiner Expressway and I was taken by the feeling that I was being part of something...

I could see all of the same shoulder flashes along the aisle, the same blue kit bag on my lap, and I had a feeling of calm, even contentment. I was a feeling that was in stark contrast to what I was speculating about the day ahead...

As I reported earlier, I am assigned as one of the Sector Supervisors in the restricted access zone, or RAZ, around the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. This is where the world leaders will meet this weekend, Today's news was an additional influx of police resources redeployed form other areas. I had a Sector change and, with that, new faces to meet and instant relationships to build into a functioning team. I am lucky with the profile of skills and competencies they bring to this assignment and I am channeling them appropriately. My team, in turn, have been good about picking up tasks where I need the help -- like communicating on two separate occasions on portable radios and a Blackberry (via phone, text and pinning) all at once.

There are already 'peaceful' protests underway and motorcades are moving delegates from one site to another. We get little advanced warning of either activity so I cannot afford to relax for too many minutes at a time. I have encouraged my team to get to know their municipal counterparts across the fence line and their response has been great -- as I expected it would be. I trust this will stand us all in good stead should the time come when depend on each other...

Wish us good luck.

Good night,
Marg


Good night, good luck and be safe Marg! Your IAWP friends are watching and waiting for your safe return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment