Wednesday, June 23, 2010

IAWP at the G8/G20 Summit

Can you guess who recently had to upgrade her gas mask training in preparation for security duties at the G8 and G20 Summit?

Well guess no longer my IAWP friends. Our very own IAWP First Vice President Margaret Shorter was once again called to into action for the upcoming G8 and G20 Summit. Yep...that's her sportin that mask!

Margaret knew she was in for something big when she got an email a few weeks back that directed her to ensure that her gas mask training was current. It wasn't. In fact, Margaret told me that British Columbia had done a recall for distribution of gas masks and I she had not done her annual refit since 2005.

Her next problem arose when she received her travel itinerary to Toronto. Good news was that the flight allowed for her to attend her son's graduation. Bad news was that she was assigned an operational defense position on the security perimeter at "the main event".

Margaret and I joked about her assignment at the summit. But as promised she has provided me with a lengthy update to share on the eve of the G8. Here are her thoughts on this experience:

Marg on the Move...
Hello from Toronto, host city to the Group of 20 countries whose leaders will attend meetings here this week.

There are some significant differences between the G8 and G20 Summits. The smaller group of 8 world leaders meet first. Their meetings are planned for June 25 and 26 in the holiday resort town of Huntsville in the Muskokas where many Canadians from this part of the country have holiday cottages.

The G20 leaders will have their meetings on June 26 and 27 her in the culturally diverse city of Toronto. It's not to say that I would choose Huntsville for my assigned duties. Up there the security forces are being issued with bug spray and live in a small city of construction trailers with hubbed washrooms.

Here...where I am...I have my own hotel room and a 99.5% chance that I will be using my gas mask.

I have a view of the CN Tower and it reminds me of the great time I had at the IAWP Conference in 2000. Back in 2000 we enjoyed brunch up on top of the CN Tower. Although it will be closed during the Summit, it is the site for some high profile special events like the YWCA Women of Distinction awards this weekend.

I have had some surprises since I arrived here last Friday. I have bumped into a few old friends, some I have not seen for a long time and some from my own Province. I found myself assigned as Sector Supervisor for one of the fence line teams.

Our orientation here has been a whirlwind of information sessions, equipment issue, and site familiarization. The sun has been shining and all of the young officers seem to own a pair of Oakley sunglasses - which I find very cool.

My experience with the Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit during the Olympics has been a great starting point. I am familiar with the event management software used for posting our initial deployment information and I adapted procedures for working within a spectrum of policing and partner agencies. Even the official accreditation process has many Olympic-style elements. The G20 is another major security event and I am grateful to have had the Olympic experience to draw upon.

The most important elements of leadership so far have been the effective communications ... and...proper hydration!

Naturally, my Olympic buddy and fellow IAWP Second Vice President Myra James has checked in on me. Knowing I was in town she called to be sure that I was OK and was having a good experience here in Region 11. For her ongoing friendship I am grateful. Who knows what is yet to unfold? It is good to know I have a friend nearby....

Tomorrow is another big day. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment