Friday, February 19, 2010

Olympic Fun Continues

There's Myra's trademark smile again.....showing us all how much fun she is having taking in the Olympic Experience. Myra took this photo while enjoying the rehearsal for the Opening Ceremonies.

James Journey - Part Four

Vancouver is ALIVE with people, interactive non-competition venues, street entertainment, flaming libations (I've tried on or two), unique restaurant menu specials and retailers selling licensed Olympic merchandise.

In around the Olympic Family Hotel (Marriot Pinnacle) on West Hastings Street (where I spend 10 to 12 hours a day) I've had the pleasure of interacting with over a hundred volunteer drivers who are providing services to the National Olympic Committee and members of the World Anti-Doping Association. Right now I supervise additional staff and volunteers that include traffic control persons, bus supervisors, parking attendants, fleet supervisors and load zone assistants who assist the Olympic Family clients every day. Yesterday I enjoyed a conversation with a delegation from China as well as a group from Russia.

VANOC staff now exceeds 25,000 and the volunteers are over 30,000. The can be seen all over the city, at all hours of the day. And, everyone we encounter ask about how to get one of our jackets, Unfortunately they are not for sale. Only staff and volunteers of the VANOC TEAM are issued them.

Everywhere we go the TEAM talk to one another even when they are complete strangers on Sky Train, in stores or restaurants. There is no shortage of friendly conversation with lots of team mates so I'm right in my element!

Last week I agreed to work a 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. shift. It allows me to interact with a variety of people in the hotel later at night and facilitates the occasional walk about the sea wall where there are lots of activities. My shift rotation is being adjusted throughout the games to accommodate my games day tickets - 6 in total. I've enjoyed working this shift.

I attended the dress rehearsal of the opening ceremonies. IT WAS AMAZING. I hope you all watched it. To personally witness the rehearsal which featured exceptional entertainment/dance/light shows was a highlight. It was perhaps one of the proudest moments I've ever felt as a Canadian!

Women's Ice Hockey (Canada vs. Sweden) is my first Olympic event. I attended with Atlantic Women in Law Enforcement President Paula Raymond. I also attended the China vs. Russia game on the 18th and I took my 17 year old cousin from the Island to commemorate her 18th birthday. She was thrilled. Marg Shorter will be my guest at the Women's Game on the 22nd when they play at UBC.


Wayne Gretzky went right by our hotel en route to light the Olympic Cauldron for the Opening Ceremonies. I can see it from the roof top balcony at any time throughout my shift, so I often take my coffee breaks out there and watch the thousands of people who are flocking to the area.
This continues to be a memorable experience, full of "firsts" for me. I feel blessed to be working with an enthusiastic group of staff and volunteers and have new life time friends.


I hope you are taking some time to watch the Olympics. We were thrilled with our first Gold medal on home soil.
Myra


No comments:

Post a Comment