Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Games have Begun!

It is hard to believe that we are into Day 4, Day 3 of competition, of the Olympics already. It was also hard not to be envious of all the officers working in Vancouver when I witnessed the final leg of the Torch Relay, watched to spectacular opening ceremonies, and cheered Canada's first 2010 Olympic medal.



I know all of the officers are working hard though. We just have to watch news feeds to get a sense of that. I also got a sense of the long hours from an update I received just days before the Games began. IAWP Region 11 member, Lisa Hewison, of the Peel Regional Police, is assigned to General Patrol at Cypress Mountain. As a generalist, her duties are divided between three sections where officers are on static patrol in various areas ranging from ravine areas, treelines and up close to the events. The shifts are long - average is 15 hours when the travel time is included.

Lisa provided this photo below where she is guarding the ravine area.

As well as the foot patrol officers, there are snowmobile patrol officers, ski patrol officers (now that's my kind of work!) vehicle screening officers, pedestrian screening officers and numerous Canadian Forces personnel who are interspersed throughout the mountain.

In Lisa's Words

It has been a great experience working with police officers from all across the country. In my area alone I am working with members from almost every Province ranging from the farthest east coast of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland to those who are from remote areas in Northern Canada.

I have found the mood of visitors towards the police to be very positive. They are friendly and everyone wants to take our picture.

I do miss home but am enjoying this once in a lifetime experience. The people I have met and the things I have seen make this trip all worthwhile. Skype is the greatest invention! I am able to video call my partner every day. And also having a Blackberry allows me to stay in contact with my family and friends through text, messenger and emails.

I am living on one of the cruise ships: Holland America - Osterdam. It is a really nice ship so I can't complain about accommodations. There is great food 24 hours a day and a decent fitness facility! The rooms are small but they have put our roommates on opposite schedules to help out with the space.

This picture is one I took of the mogul course on the first day the athletes were set to start training runs.

From all of your envious IAWP friends - Enjoy the rest of your time at the Olympics Lisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment