Sunday, January 31, 2010

IAWP at the Olympics


IAWP First Vice President, Staff Sergeant Margaret Shorter has been working as the Presentations and Communications Facilitator, International Police Visitation Program, Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit for some time now.



The photo to the right is Margaret showing the two parts of her Olympic accreditation outside of the Main Press Centre (MPC) in front of the Personal Screening Area. The small tent behind her is one of many that spectators with tickets will be screened by security in this area.


Despite her busy schedule leading up the games, Margaret has taken some time to explain how she ended up in this role and describe some of her experiences. As you have read in James Journey updates, Margaret has had time to connect with Myra and enjoy a few laughs and exchange work stories.

The photo below is the MPC inside of Canada Place, which is located in the Vancouver Convention Centre.

Here is the first of Margaret updates on her work at the Olympics.

Margaret's Musings - Part 1

It seems like not long ago when I was stationed at the RCMP Richmond, B.C, Detachment I myself was in the process of assisting in the hiring process of our Olympic liaison for the City of Richmond. Out of the blue I received a telephone call from a friend I had made during the 2001 Edmonton IAWP Conference. Sergeant Trish MacCormack was calling as the HR Staffing Coordinator for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Security Planning Unit (V2010 ISU) with an offer of a position that she said "has your name on it".

I met with Trish the following Monday over coffee and she introduced me to the Staff Sergeant in charge of the International Police Visitation Program. After a brief conversation I was hooked. Sometimes in life a window of opportunity opens and you just have to take that leap of faith! The officer in charge of the Richmond Detachment agreed to release me for transfer and I was moved in six weeks.

My position is one of three second language profile positions within the ISU. I am responsible for leading visits with any French speaking guests. I have a colleague, Constable Zhivka Ivanova who speaks a number of Eastern European languages. She is responsible for communication with delegates from Russia where the 2014 Olympic Winter Games will be held in a city called Sochi. Another colleague of mine, Sergeant Pepin Wong has just returned from a post as RCMPLiasion in Beijing. Sergeant Wong speaks both Mandarin and Cantonese so he is leading visits from delegations from the Pacific Asian Rim. In 2011, Singapore will host the inaugural Youth Olympics so we expect many delegations who speak these dialects.

When I started with ISU, I hit the ground running. During my first week on the job we hosted the representative from the French Embassy in Ottawa and the Head of the French Police Nationale. Two weeks later I was leading a group of Chiefs of Police from the Canadian Province of Quebec. Two different accents, two different cultures, two different mandates - and I wasn't even fully oriented to my new position yet!

It was only when I arrived at the ISU that I even became aware of the scope of what Olympic Security planning would entail. The more I learned, the more I realized that I could never appreciate the amount of information and communication needed to meet our goals. I decided that the best way to channel my efforts was to focus on the ISU Vision and Mission and trust that if I did my piece to the best of my ability, and everyone else at the ISU did their part, this just had to come together!

Or Vision is to sevure the best winter games ever as partners in safety, peace and celebration. Our Mission is to provide and secure games through an integrated security model.

There are now over 500 personnel working at the Integrated Security Unit and since the New Year the energy level in the building has climbed quickly.

The celebration begins in just 12 days!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment