Saturday, January 16, 2010

IAWP at the Olympic Torch Relay

From Left to right - Sgt. Linda GAUMOND, Operations NCO La Ronge Cpl. Gertrude MAXWELL, Community Services North Battleford Cst. Matt MIRASTY, Olympic Security Insp. Matt LOWTHER, Officer I/C "F" Division Community Policing




It is day 75 of the Olympic Torch Relay.



The Olympic Torch has actually criss crossed Canada, passing through some Provinces twice. The earlier leg of the Torch Relay passed through La Ronge, Saskatchewan on November 27, 2009. IAWP member, Corporal Gertrude Maxwell was assigned to the Olympic Torch Run Relay planning committee and wrote to me that this was the first time she heard our National Anthem sung in Cree. Apparently it was quite spectacular!



Margaret was also present when the Olympic Torch made its second pass through North Battleford, Saskatchewan on January 12, 2010. She and I exchanged emails as I was explaining how the festivities warmed citizens here in Manitoba even when temperatures were sitting at -40 degrees with the wind chill. Margaret's comment to me was "I was so proud to be a part of this and see how the community came together."





No comments:

Post a Comment