Monday, December 9, 2013

Pioneers!

As my career moves along I reflect more and more on the women who came before me.  The women who first dared to challenge stereotypes ...women can't be cops!  The women who challenged the status quo....women can't work the streets!  The women who just wanted to contribute to the welfare of our city and did so without many accolades.   These are the women I admire. 

One of those women was Helen Woollard, who was Winnipeg's first women to graduate recruit class and work a full 30 year career as a police officer.  Sadly she passed away on November 29, 2013. 

She was a true pioneer...making in roads for women like me long before I even thought about a career in policing.   Helen Woollard was a true pioneer in this city.  Rest in peace, Helen.


http://passages.winnipegfreepress.com/passage-details/id-208489/name-Helen_Woollard/date-range-all/last-name-woollard/order-publish_date%7CDESC,last_name%7CASC,first_name%7CASC/

No comments:

Post a Comment