Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bullying

Yesterday, April 10th, I had the good fortune to be invited to attend a morning work shop on bullying in the workplace.  Here in Manitoba there have been recent changes to our Workplace Health and Safety Legislation to expand the definitions of prohibited workplace behaviours that could be considered harassment.  The second aspect of the presentation focused on work place bullying and the effects on employees and the employer (wide implications for the business or organization). 

One of the most telling bits of information that I took away from the presentation is that research indicates that at one point in time we have all most likely been bully or have been the target of the bully.    The thought that I have likely at one point been a bully jarred me.  But it gave me pause to reflect (which was the point of the workshop!) and agree that "yes" I have at time displayed behaviours which are not reflective of who I want to be as a police officer, a supervisor, or most importantly as a person. 

It takes dedicated and conscious effort to be on our best behaviour at all times.  The workshop yesterday reminded me of this.  I began my post workshop commitment to strive toward being a person who stands up against bullying by doing some online reading.  I hope you have time to read a few of the links I have provided here and make the commitment as well.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Bullying_Day

http://www.dayofpink.org/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ns-cabinet-and-public-concern-drive-call-to-reopen-case-of-bullied-teen/article11033039/

www.workplacebullying.org

www.mobbing.ca

www.pipsc.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment