Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Forces of Fashion

Inspector Keeping (RCMP), Constable Chanel, Constable Lawford (Brandon Police) Boarder Guard Dennison (Canadian Border Services Agency), Correction Officer Kopilas (Federal Corrections), Inspector Stephanson (Winnipeg Police), Sergeant Martin (Winnipeg Police)
(From left to right side)


Do you remember how excited you were to get your first uniform?  I do. 

My own parents were away the weeks leading up to my new career with the Winnipeg Police Service.  I was working for family friends, Nathan Detroit's Sandwich Pad, and recall that they were excited as my own family about this adventure.  My "boss" and close friend Ian let me leave over the busy lunch hour to attend an appointment for my uniform fitting.  I returned to work and he, my friend Brenlea, and everyone else there was very excited and wanted to see all of the various pieces....the new shirts, ties, uniform pants, boots and forge cap.  I took it all out and put on display right at one of the front tables in the restarant.  I picture this day as if it was yesterday!  Happy memories!

Our uniforms are a symbol of who we are as law enforcement officers.  They are also a symbol of achievement for women in law enforcement because today we take for granted the fact that we have proper fitting uniforms and equipment.  Some pioneer woman made that happen for us by pushing our agencies for equality in this area.

Uniforms are also a symbol of the rank achievement.  White shirts are symbolic of senior officer status, as in the case of Winnipeg Police Service Inspector A. Stephanson who proudly displays the senior officer uniform of my agency.  The gold braiding of Inspector J. Keeping forge cap indicates her achievement to this rank within the RCMP. 

The "Forces of Fashion" show will be held on International Women's Day, Friday, March 8, 2013 from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at the Richardson Science Complex, University of Winnipeg.  The event is designed to celebrate women in uniform and all that we have achieved in this field.  There will be a display of historic to modern uniforms by actual police models.  Business fashions from a local retailer will follow.

As proud as I was to receive my first uniform, I stood before the local media this past Monday, February 25 with these women to show off our uniforms.  We hope you will join us for the celebration.  If can not...please check back here for highlights!

1 comment:

  1. I remember early in my career lobbying to get rid of what I refer to as the "Elmer Fudd hats" that we women officers had to wear in Saskatoon. Finally we got staff caps the same as the men. In Saskatoon (and most of Saskatchewan) we no longer have the "white shirts" to distinguish the executive ranks. I really like having the same dark blue as everyone else!

    ReplyDelete